Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tommy

Friday I went to the funeral of my friend, Tommy. This was a man I worked with. I liked and admired him. More than that I found in him the same mischievous streak that I have running in me. To be honest I was a bit nervous about attending the funeral because it would force me to interact with a group of people who had hurt me deeply. But to honor my friend I went.

It was wonderful to take the time with other people who loved Tommy and remember the stories, the pranks and the sheer fun that he always was. I shared the story of my birthday when I was greeted with a big pile of gifts and in the midst was a large box that said, "Open Me First". When I unwrapped it, Tommy leaped out of the box with a tag around his neck that said, "Your very own Tommy doll". First of all he almost gave me a heart attack when he jumped out of that box. Secondly I was laughing so hard I could hardly talk. Even all these years later it brings a smile to my face when I remember it.

The service was very simple and gave plenty of opportunity for us to just share with each other. I was also blessed to discover it was not nearly as painful as I feared to be there. In fact I think it was healing and I am glad that I had a chance to lay some ghosts of a painful time.

I am sad that Tommy is gone, sad for the struggles he went through these past years but so very thankful that our lives had a chance to connect. I think that we were a gift to each other in a season of life when we needed uncomplicated friendship.

So as I think about him I am sad ... and I am thankful and I think that they are both okay things to be.

Just Connie

No comments: