Monday, September 29, 2014

Oil Adventure

My resident car expert stuck his head through my office door and said, "How long has it been since you checked your oil?" I immediately straightened my shoulders and said, "Well ... uhmmmm not since the day after I brought it home and you made me do it."

Shaking his head he told me to pop the hood and check the oil. And that was when I discovered I did not know how to open the hood of my new car. Who knew they would recess a hood release there ... well apparently my resident car expert did, but I certainly did not. But I got the hood opened and then it was the search for the oil is checked. (I am very gad that some smart person decided to put yellow ids on all the things I am supposed to check) So I pulled it out, wiped it off like a pro ... well okay more like a klutz since I could seem to get it back into the little opening it came from. But eventually I got it checked only to discover that I was a quart low.

And then is when I got panicked my new car was losing oil! But after poking around my resident car expert found the oil filter was not tightly fastened and was leaking oil. So then it was time to go and get some oil where I discovered there are "kinds of oil" .... sigh .... why does it have to be so complicated? But I did get some oil and then took it back to my resident expert who showed me where I was supposed to add it.

Finally, I got it added, but I am not sure you are supposed to get that much oil on you when you add oil, but at least I got it in.

This oil adventure took about an hour of my morning but it also made me grateful for people who challenge me and make learn stuff I do not want to learn. Stuff I have to learn to live successfully on my own.

Now if I can just remember how to do this next Monday when I am supposed to check it again.

Just Connie

No comments: