Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Paddle Thoughts

I am the proud owner of my very own paddleboard. I had been tucking money away for this extravagance for the last 11 months. And several months ago there was finally enough tucked away to purchase my very own board. Last year was the first time I had ever been on a paddleboard and I found that loved it! Loved being outside, loved the exercise and the challenge of staying upright on a tippy board. So on Memorial Day, I hopped out of bed, went to an early morning yoga class (5:30 am) and then headed home to clean up, pack things up and head to McMinnville to meet my adventure buddy. My friend Tami the paramedic had purchased a rack for our paddle boards and together we loaded hers on top. Realized we could not get mine on as well and loaded it in the back of my car. But soon we were headed to Newberg to hit the Wilamette at Rogers Landing and meet friends of Tamis. Arriving there, I soon found out how hard it is to carry a 10 ft board very far. ( I have ordered a carrying strap now). But eventually we made it down to the river, two paddleboard soldiers and a canoe and we soon headed downriver. It was a beautiful day! The sun was shining, birds were singing. There were blue herons and kingfishers fishing along the side of the river and it was a perfect day to be on the river. Everything went seamlessly until we turned to head back up the river. THat is when the canoe accidentally hit my board and sent me head first into the river. Laughing, I surfaced and swam for my board and began the hard exercise of climbing back onto my board. As I lay stomach down on the board and caught my breath I could not help but laugh. I raised my head and said, "And that is why I brought extra clothes". Laughing we all began the paddle upriver enjoying the day, the beauty and each other. It was all over all too soon and before I knew it we were loading everything back into our cars and heading home. I am so grateful for days like this that breathe life into me and fill me with joy. I am so thankful for friendships that build me up and the chance to do things that challenge and stretch me. I am looking forward with anticipation to our next adventure. I think we are headed to Tillamook to paddle rather Little Nestucca. Good times ahead.... Just Connie

No comments: