Thursday, June 2, 2016

Surgery Day

Today was the day. The day of the sinus surgery that would hopefully solve the months of on going infections. The Dr would be using a new device and would be suing this opportunity to perform the surgery he had been wanting to do for s year.


I had had a long conversation with the surgeon the night before about tranquilizers and narcotics.I told him that unless he tells me I should I really did not want either of them. I do not like how I feel on narcotics ... itchy, nauseous and fuzzy. He said that would be no problem and went on to explain that he had been practicing the new procedure on a dummy. It was all I could do to not laugh and tell him that was really appropriate. My heart friend Carolyn came and picked me up and drove me to the hospital. I was feeling calm and ready to get it done as the surgeon came out to the waiting room and took me back to where the procedure would be done.


It did not take long to sign the consent forms and have all my vitals taken. The doctor introduced me to the sales rep who would be watching the procedure and we chatted as the Dr made his own last minute preparations. He explained what he would be doing as the nurse laid out the last of the surgical tools he would need. The Dr then sprayed in the first of the deadening agents. And then the shots began. I have to admit that they were fairly uncomfortable. When the last of the locals had been given he then packed my sinuses with gauze soaked in yet another deadening agent. As we waited for them to take effect, we chatted about backpacking, area wineries and life.

And before I knew it, it was time to start. The Dr explained that he had decided to do both sides while he had the opportunity as he began to thread the scopes through my sinus to reach the sinus over my eyes. It was not too painful until he finally made it to the destination and then it was ... Well not fun. But that part did not last long and I was thankful for the nurse who let me grip her hand as I concentrated on not flinching or moving. Finally that side had been opened, irrigated and was finished.

Then it was time to begin on the other side and that is when it got harder. But the Dr stayed with it and two hours later we were done and I was telling the rep and the Dr how much I appreciated what they did for me. The long anticipated surgery was over.  Now it was time for recovery and follow up.

Before I knew it Carolyn and I were heading back to Willamina and I was looking with anticipation to my bed. Now, I am curled up in bed, mopping up my nose bleeds and eating just enough to keep me from getting nauseous.


Tomorrow I will head up to OHSU to meet with the pulmunologist and have some tests. It will be good to have that behind me as well. I am ready for some good news and a treatment plan to help keep my asthma under control.


All in all, this has been an amazing day and I am still living in hope that it will be successful and be part of the road to life and health.


Now if I could just be done with the nose bleed ..... But I am not complaining.

Just Connie

No comments: