Wednesday, June 1, 2016

12 Hour Day

I jumped out of the car and began to pull my wild land fire fighting gear from the bag I keep in the back of my jeep. The flashing lights of a multitude of emergency rigs were even brighter than the 90 degree sun beating down as I firmly placed my wild land helmet on my head and headed up the grassy hill to the scene. Smoke curled around me as I made my way around vehicles, hose lines and brush. Various crew members waved at me as I quickly snapped a couple of pictures as I searched for the IC. (Incident Command) The scene was calm and the crew had obviously knocked the fire down fairly quickly. Now there were smoldering piles of slash as the crew dug out hot spots. Finding the IC, he handed me the clipboard and told me to work with ODF (Oregon Department of Forestry) to gather information and statements. So for the next 30 minutes I interviewed witnesses, took photos and tried to stay out of the smoke as I hiked through smoldering piles of slash and open burned fields. As I climbed yet another hill, I shivered to see that the fire had come within 3 feet of a row of houses. Sending up a quick prayer of thankfulness for the protection of those homes, I headed to the engine to see if I could find some water to hydrate myself. I could feel the sweat trickling down my back as I wiped my face on my sleeve and headed down the hill to the engine where I quickly drank a bottle of water. I searched out the IC once more and gave him all the info I had gathered. Jumping back into my car, I headed to city hall to update the mayor on the fire which had also come fairly close to the town water tower. Finally though, I was heading back to the station to download photos and prepare press releases. As I walked into the lobby of the station the Chief greeted me as I sank into the nearest chair with relief. Pulling my boots off my swollen feet I rubbed them ruefully as I updated him on what had happened since he had left the scene. An hour later I was finally loading my stuff back into the car as I prepared to head home from a 12 hour work day. As I drove home, I reflected on everything I had done during the day. Yoga class, union negotiations, a quick shopping trip, preparation of the minutes for tomorrow's Economic Improvement District meeting, multiple phone calls from the Dr's, and hospitals about tomorrow's upcoming surgery and the planning of a memorial service for last night's cardiac arrest victim. The day had involved Fire Department, Church, Community and City ministry. It had been full but yet good. I am thankful for the chance to serve, thankful for the many friends I have made and thankful that I can make a difference in my own small way. And thankful is a pretty good way to end a day.... Just Connie

No comments: