Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Car Stuff

Car problems totally overwhelm me. First of all I know less than nothing about engines and second of all if I am very, very honest .... I really do not want to know anything about engines.

Monday I decided to make a short trip into Sheridan and go to the bank. A fifteen minute trip and then I would be back and working on wrapping up Easter Service preparations. Deciding to save time by going through the drive through window, I opened my window  and smelled something hot.

Experience has taught me something over the years and I immediately looked at my temperature gauge and sure enough it was red lined on H. I eased the car carefully out of the drive through and into a parking spot. By that time the steam was rolling out from under my hood. I immediately did what any enlightened professional woman would do .... I cried. I pulled it together enough to  call my church treasurer to confess. "My car has overheated and I have no idea what I should do." He took pity on me (after he stopped laughing)  and came with a jug of water and his mechanical knowledge. You know it is pretty handy to have a treasurer that actually knows something more than numbers.

After the car had cooled down and water had been put in the radiator and immediately began leaking back out on the ground, he said, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I can get you to the repair shop ... the bad news is that I think it is your water pump." I would love to say that I took that news with a stiff upper lip ... but it was a tearful wobbly lip all the way back to Willamina.

The news from the repair shop was that it was my water pump which on my rig was under everything else and would mean about 7 hours of labor. That was the point that I began pinching my wrist so I did not lay my head down on the counter and cry. But the final news of  $500-$600 just about sucked the air out of my lungs. But on a positive note they thought they could get it done by late the next day.

However now it is two days later and they just called and told me it will be Friday before the car is completed. Seems they are having trouble getting parts for a 14 year old car ... huh go figure? But like it or not there is not much I can do about it.

All of this  upheaval reminds me of a few things. First of all there are a lot of people who are willing to jump in and give me rides and help out. Secondly it reminds me that I find it very hard to ask for help. Thirdly, ministry still happens. When life is chaotic when things are not neatly lined up .... still ministry happens.

In fact I have to wonder if these catastrophes are what helps me stay "human" and approachable. I know first hand the trials and tribulations of every day life. I am not exempt because I am a minister. It is even more important for me to live in the midst of "life" and to still show the love, humility and power of Christ.

But if I got to choose .... no more car stuff!

Just Connie

No comments: