Sunday, August 24, 2014

Duck Races 2014

Yesterday I spent the day playing in the creek. It was our annual Duck Races in Willamina. It is always lots of fun and very busy. This year was no different ... it was very busy and lots of fun.

My job began at 9:00 with the setting up of the "finish line" in the creek. The finish line is built of wire fencing overlaid with chicken wire ... so we had to get the huge roll of wire  unrolled and down the steep bank to the creek The wire is heavy, sharp and very unwieldy. We struggled down the bank and somehow made it without falling on our faces or loosing control of the wire.But once it was down it was my job to pull it across the creek which everyone enjoyed as it it involved moving a few steps and falling down into the creek ... walking a few more steps and falling again..

Eventually the finish line was completed the finishing chute installed and the ducks were released. It is an incredible sight to see 2,000 rubber ducks floating down the creek. As the winners lined up in the chute my job was to call out the numbers for recording. There were happy faces all around cheering for their ducks and listening eagerly to hear the winners.

Before I knew it, it was time to be dismantling the finish line and that is when I took one more tumble .... right into the wire fencing. So I now have a reminder of the this year's Duck Races...bruises and cuts up and down both arms. However, in spite of everything, it all got cleaned up and put away for next year.

I went home wet, happy and tired. .... I can hardly wait until next year!

Just Connie

No comments: