Monday, August 11, 2014

Getting Ready

One of the things that really give me joy in life is to be in the outdoors. Hiking and backpacking energize me and prepare me to meet the demands of everyday life. However I have struggled to get on the trails in the last 6 years. First of all my hiking buddy and good friend Debbie passed away. Suddenly I had had no one to hike with ... no one to share the demands and joys of the trail with. Secondly, for the last two years my health has plummeted to new lows as I have struggled just to stay breathing.

But now, I am feeling better, my lung function is coming up and I am beginning to train for a backpacking trip in about a month. I am taking early morning walks and will try adding evening walks this week as well. I really want to get back in shape and begin to do the things that I love once again.

But as I begin to feel better I am realizing that I am still in need of a hiking partner. I thought for so long that I would meet someone who loved it as much as I do ... but after 6 years I am beginning to think I am not going to just run into someone who loves to hike. I tried a hiking club in Salem but I found myself feeling very much like an outsider on the group hikes they offered.

So I am contemplating what I might do to get to know some like minded people. There are still a couple of month of good hiking weather left.I would sure like to get out on the trails again .... I am thinking ... anyone got any good ideas?

Just Connnie

No comments: