Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mill Fire Thoughts

It was a hot evening following my 4th treatment as my Fire Department pager went off just as I was crawling into bed. As I looked at the screen, I jumped out of bed just as the Fire Chief  called. A local Lumber mill was on fire and I was needed on scene.

I headed to the Fire Hall, grabbed my turnouts and the Chief's turnouts, loaded them in Squad 8 and headed to the Mill with lights and sirens going.

Arriving on scene, I pulled my turnouts and helmet on grimacing as the heat and my soreness from treatment registered on me. I quickly got an update on the status of the fire and began following crews snapping photos as I climbed over equipment, catwalks and slogged through the mud.

The fire was quickly contained and the process of mop up began as crews continued to put out hot spots and put out the grass fires that had popped up around the scene. Tucking my camera into my turnouts, I began the process of filling out paperwork and talking with the owners.Glad to break out of part of my helmet and jacket as I filled out paperwork, I gratefully let the breeze lift sweat matted hair.

As things began to  wrap up the Chief and I did our walk through of the scene as he explained what he could tell so far about the fire. Then it was time to head back to the Fire Hall to collate information for press releases and to discuss the fire.

Heading home, I jumped in the shower to scrub as much of the smell of the fire off as I could. As I crawled into bed, I noticed a couple of things, first of all I was not nearly as sore as I was when I crawled out of bed. Secondly, it was 2:00 in the morning! It seems that fires never come at convenient times. But I was grateful that the next day was my day off.

The one thing I can say, my life is never boring anymore. What a great way to love!

Just Connie


No comments: