Friday, October 6, 2017

Biopsy Results

I sat there in disbelief as the onocologist who is treating my lungs said, "I called up to OHSU and got your biopsy results. They were benign." First I was stunned that he had gotten the results and secondly I was stunned that the biopsy was benign! It was all I could do to not jump up and kiss the poor man. He was pretty happy too and stated that it was good to give news for a change.

Of course I do not know yet, what kind of follow up they will recommend for the mass in my pancreas. They could decide to watch and wait, or take it out or something that I am not even aware of. But the bottom line is that the biopsy showed no cancer cells. Of course my onocologist had to give me the talk that the needle biopsy doesn't test every cell in the mass and there could be cancer cells in another part of the mass. But what I hear is that the biopsy was good and no cancer was detected.

As I have been thinking about why I am so very surprised, grateful but surprised it dawned on me that the surgeon had a lot to do with it. He was pretty upbeat before the biopsy procedure and kind of grim afterwards, talking about how they could take it out and what potential treatment options I had. He gave me the strong impression that he did not like what he had seen.

I will look forward to getting more information from him tomorrow and beginning to make plans for the future again. I had not realized how much of a holding pattern I was in as I waited for these results.

So, tonight I am doing a happy dance. Glad to look ahead with some certainty and much joy. This is feeling pretty good ....

Just Connie

No comments: