Friday, January 7, 2011

Suprised by Fear

I grabbed my briefcase and jacket, grabbed my keys and stepped out the back door to head to the church. I paused at the top of the stairs in the dark, as I realized there was a car in the end of the driveway blocking my way out. I froze when I realized there was someone sitting there in the car. In that instant my heart contracted in fear. I stood there fumbling for my cell phone while I tried frantically to get my key in the lock to get back into the safety of the house. All I could think was, "He's here, he's here!"

While my shaking hands were trying to get me back in the house, the car door opened and about the time I was ready to begin screaming, a total stranger got out and told me they were lost. I mumbled a reply and shakily went back into the house.

As I have reflected on that experience I have to admit that the flood of fear that gripped me ... well it surprises me. I am not a fearful person, but when I thought that Gerrald my former husband was there I was terrified and shaking. I think I probably need to pay attention to that. And to let the knowledge of fear warn and inform me. Warn me of the potential for danger where he is involved and to let that guide me to safe and healthy choices.

This was probably a good reminder ....

Just Connie

2 comments:

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

So sorry, what a tough moment of terror. Don't blame you one bit. It's true isn't it, that some fear is a safety mechanism so we shouldn't ignore it or shut it down. I hope you find the answers you need and can take whatever precautions are needed.

Finchie2 said...

Fear does make us sometime do rash things, but I think it helps to keep us on our toes and not relax in our our abilities. He is our strength and will help us! Love you my friend!