Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Amazing People

People amaze me. Sometimes they amaze me in good ways and sometimes they amaze me in ... well not so good ways. Today I was amazed by someones behavior. How could you speak mean hurtful words and not know that they will hurt those around you?

The conversation seemed at the beginning to be fairly easy and straight forward but as I listened to the words pouring out, I quickly realized that it was not going to be simple. The words were so harsh and I could see that they were cutting to those who were listening. In that moment I stood there and struggled with how to reflect those hurtful words in a way that would not throw gasoline on the fire.

I said a quick prayer and took a deep breath and began to speak. In the end we all ended as friends. As I reflect on it, it brings to mind how often as a pastor I am called to reflect someones words back to them. It is often uncomfortable but really important. Words are powerful and I believe we are called to use our words to give life not death.

and giving life is a very good thing.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am in awe of how the Lord uses you to mirror the fruits, love, joy,peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. I love Jesus in you. Thank you for being such a human wonderful example of His grace, mercy and love!