Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bad News

As a pastor I have given people all kinds of bad news over the years. I have given doctors diagnosis to families, announced the ending of relationships, I have showed up at people's doors to tell of  tragic accidents. I have done things that I never ever want to repeat ... but the news I shared today both challenged me and blessed me.

My father recently saw a neurologist for some problems he was experiencing and the doctor shared with my mother that he felt it was Parkinsons. My mother was understandably upset and after discussing it with her I decided to take the long drive to Portland so that we could tell my father what the doctor said.

My father has been a tower of strength over the years. He has been a strong and active man who shared his love of sports with his three girls. His critical head injury a year and a half ago has been a life changing event for all of us. But he has been slowly making progress, until several months ago. This news of Parkinson's shook me and as I drove to Portland today the tears poured as I thought about the reality of what this might mean for him.

As I sat with my parents today and talked about what the doctor thought he saw and what that might mean I was so proud of the people my parents are. Their strength and their honesty shapes their lives and it was very evident in how they responded to the news. Their love and their willingness to face this blessed my heart.

The reality is that this crisis will draw my family together and our love will strengthen all of us. Though this is not something I would ever want or choose for my father, it is the reality that we are faced with. I know absolutely that God is sufficient for what we face. He is sufficient for the hurt, the fear and the pain. I also know absolutely that my family is sufficient for this as well. We will come through this together .... stronger, better and looking with hope for tomorrow.

Just Connie

No comments: