Friday, April 20, 2012

Birthday Musings

Today is my birthday. I have to admit that since I have been on my own, I have had a tendency to try to ignore my birthday .... it just ends up being kind of sad and lonely. But this year has been so different. For one thing I made the choice to get out and be with people. I of course did not tell anyone it was my birthday, but I thought it would be very good to be with friends and the community.

So I started the day by having breakfast with the ladies from the church. That not only was fun but I was surprised with dish of blackberry ice cream with a candle after breakfast. With birthday wishes from everyone. What better way to start the day than with ice cream?

From there I joined other members of the Chamber of Commerce for our annual Bark Dust sale. I was greeted by one friend who told me, "I  knew it was your birthday because you look so much older today". After I chased him around the table I was surprised by a beautiful cake and a chorus of Happy Birthday by my fellow Chamber volunteers and the Garden Club who was setting up in a booth next to us. It was joyful and happy as we laughed and teased each other.

So most of the day today I sold bark dust, served birthday cake and received well wishes from friends and total strangers as they all celebrated my birthday with me.

It made this a really wonderful day. It was full of friends and laughter. Tonight, I am left with a feeling of being loved that is a wonderful way to end my day. I kind of think that is the very best kind of birthday to have.

Just Connie

No comments: