Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Reality

Mondays ... they are my sermon and study days. I always have this picture in my mind of how it is going to be. Soft music playing, quiet contemplation and prayer ... but it seems that the reality never works out quite that way. Today was no exception.

First thing this morning, I swung by the post office and picked up the pile of church mail. I got to the church and carried briefcase, purse and mail in with Hope Puppy jumping up and down around me. Since the inevitable happened and I dropped all of the mail in  rainy street. I then got get down on my hands and knees int he rain and pick up all of the sodden pieces of mail out of the water and mud. Hope Puppy thought this was a wonderful game and kept dashing in and sticking her cold wet nose in my face. But I finally got it all picked up and  struggled into the office and began to get settled. I pulled out my breakfast and a bottled water and proceeded to eat breakfast at my desk while I sorted the mail and listened to phone messages. With that done I began to clear off the flotsam from Sunday while I fielded a string of phone calls. I finally pulled out my computer and reached for my bible to begin my sermon prep ... no bible. So then I went on the search to see where I had left it during Sunday morning activities. I finally found it on the worship leaders music stand where I could suddenly remember placing it at the end of my sermon as I led the closing song.

I finally sat down with my bible and began reading and thinking. Just about the time I was ready to put some thoughts down on paper, I got my first drop in visitor of the day. By the time I waved her on her way the morning was disappearing quickly. But I picked p my scattered threads of thought and finally got back to it. And that was when the shrill sound of the tile saws began. It seems that the work crew had come to lay tile in the new kitchen. Rejoicing that the project was moving ahead I worked to tune out the noise and get back to the sermon. That is when the next visitor dropped in. Sighing I put everything away and dealt with the problems my visitor shared.

I no sooner waved him on his way and began to settle back into study mode when the phone began to ring, and ring and ring. one phone call after another. And that is how the rest of the day went. Between visitors and phone calls I slowly chipped away at the sermon ... until it was done. Finally! I printed it, e-mailed it to the sound team, the web guy, and my worship leader with the closing song. Then I created the outline for the bulletin and and e-mailed it to the church office. All the time answering phone calls and visitor questions.

But at last I pushed send for the last piece, threw my computer in my briefcase, grabbed Hope Puppy and ran out the door before anyone else could come in search of me. As I think about it this was probably a more normal sermon prep day than the one I dream about.

Now I have a couple of hours to eat and relax before I have to be back at the church for a counseling session. ...

Yep this is a pretty normal Monday.

Just Connie

No comments: