Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Good Plan

I gingerly pushed my foot through the ice crust, watching the snow go 4 inches above the top of my boots and waded through the 18" of snow underneath as I made my way to church. All of the other churches in town had cancelled their services today. Since I lived in town I decided to go ahead and have services in case there was anyone who wanted to come.
It seemed like such a good plan .... right up until the moment that I put my feet out onto the packed snow in the road. Because the moment that my feet hit the road my feet took off without me and I rocketed down the icy slope at an ever increasing rate of speed. I was finally able to stop myself my inserting my face in an icy snowbank. (I insist that I did it on purpose) And that is when I began to think perhaps it was not such a good idea to hike down the hill and through town to church. But I am no quitter so I kept making my way down the hill.
I figured out very quickly to stay off the packed snow which now had a half an inch of ice covering it. It worked a lot better to walk through the deep snow and wade through it like a big fabric covered ice breaker. The only trouble with that plan was that my shins were taking a beating with every step.
But I finally made it down the hill in one piece and began the trek through town. The  sidewalks were ... well a mixed bag, some were shoveled and covered with ice, some had had many feet crossing it and some were unbroken snow and ice. Then of course there were all the places that had piles of snow that you had to somehow cross. But almost an hour after I left home, I was finally unlocking my office door and preparing for church.
I made it in one piece .... I knew it was a good plan .... now I just have to find a way to get back up the hill.
That should not be a problem .... right?
Just Connie

No comments: