Sunday, February 2, 2014

Old Friends

I spent the evening with old friends. Of course I tell them they are  very, very old friends and while I am ducking the various implements they are throwing at me I cannot help but laugh. There is something about being with people who have known you a long time that is as comfortable as your favorite sweatshirt.


We spent the evening watching the Super Bowl game and though the game was not entertaining .... being with them was. To be with people who you can be yourself with, who know the old jokes without explanation and remember your past is a precious gift that I have found is rare in the pastorate. It seems that we move on  to new churches and new communities and so often we lose track of those we love and have shared our lives with.


I think I am coming to the realization how important these connections are to me. I need them. I need people who love me for who I am, that I do not have to pretend with and who know my past. People that I can rest in love, assurance and confidence in their love for me.


I am thankful for the time I was given tonight to enjoy that kind of friendship. I am looking forward to many more wonderful days of celebration and friendship.


I think there is love and laughter ahead ...


Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are new friends in my life. Yet, as you said so eloquently, friends that we have history with as just special. What I love about your post is that you see your worth to others. I wonder if you have any idea how much you mean and how much you have touched the lives of those around you.