Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blessed Privilege

I stood in the cold mist and looked at out over the hills. I tugged my coat collar higher as I opened my bible and looked at the at silent group gathered around the open grave. There was deep sadness on each face as the bagpipes echoed through the cemetery.


It is a blessed privilege to stand and give honor to a life well lived, to offer words of hope and comfort to a grieving saddened hearts. It is one of the really important things that a pastor has opportunity to do. because the reality of a heart with no hope is that they cannot live in the joy of the present. It is a life of blighted possibility. My job as pastor is to offer hope big enough to keep the darkness at bay.


At these times I am always reminded that for Christians this is not goodbye, it is "until we meet again". Because for those who have gone on before it us, it is the beginning of life abundant and free. And though our hearts grieve over our loss, how can we grieve that they are no longer in pain, no longer ill and burdened?


"And into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you" 1 Peter 1:4


There really are better things ahead ....


Just Connie

No comments: