Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Hard Thing

I spent a few hours working  today. It was one of those community jobs that I really, really did not want to do. But yet it needed to be done and when I was asked I said yes. They had been patiently waiting for me to get back to work. But it really could not wait any longer.


So I took a deep breath and did what needed to be done. Yet I have to admit that it hurt my heart. I found myself struggling with tears several times through the morning. By early afternoon I was exhausted and so ready to come home and curl up into bed.


I have been reflecting on the events of the morning and several things have occurred to me.
  • First I am honored to be entrusted to do something that was so important and so sensitive.
  • Secondly, I am grateful for the gifts and skills that allow me to serve the community.
  • Thirdly, my heart breaks when people are wounded.
  • Fourthly, sometimes service comes with a price.
So often my service to others brings me great joy, but there are those times such as today when there is a price. Today's price was both in the pain it brought me and the exhaustion it brought. However, the price is worth it ... to do the right thing ... to do a hard thing that benefits others is more than worth that price.


Tonight I am thankful to have this done and behind me. And I am thinking that thankful ... is a good place to be.


Just Connie

No comments: