Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Worthwhile Day

I was in bed sleeping when the ringing phone finally woke me up. I woke up in a hurry, when I realized that it was dispatch and I was being dispatched to a death in a nearby community. I hurriedly threw some clothes on and headed out hoping that I was not forgetting anything vital.

Arriving n scene I introduced myself to the family and began preparing them for the things that would be happening in the next few hours. A death at home has extra steps. The sherif has to respond and the medical examiner has to sign off on it.  As the clock was ticking towards the four hour mark I was just helping to load the deceased onto the funeral home gurney when my raining phone directed me to a wild fire about 10 miles away. Arriving on scene, I threw my Wildland fire gear on and hiked into the scene to find command and see where they wanted me. For the next four hours I took photos, interviewed the property owners (who actually recognized me from a funeral I did the week before) and encouraged the crew. Finally we had the fire out and I began texting photos and a brief write up to some of my media contacts.

Arriving at the station, I downloaded my photos, updated the Facebook page and received an emergency breathing treatment for my complaining lungs.  I finally headed home to put my feet up and get some dinner. I had been home about 10 minutes when dispatch called to send me to a fatal car wreck.

As I headed towards the scene I soon realize that getting through the traffic in my own car was going to be challenging. (And that is why Chief tries to get me to drive a department rig when I am heading to an accident) But finally I was close enough to see emergency lights ahead and I pulled over and hiked in. For the next few hours, I comforted witnesses, encouraged the crew and watched things unfold.

By the time I was ready to be released from the scene, one of the ODOT guys took pity on me and drove me to my car. By then I was nothing that I was wheezing again and way past due for an emergency breathing treatment.. So arriving at the station, I presented myself to one of the  paramedics and got my second treatment. By the time we were done the rest of the crews were arriving home. For the next hour, rigs were washed, hoses dealt with and tired, tired people headed to bed. I waved goodbye to  them with the promise I would be in the next afternoon for debriefing with them.

About 11:00 I made it home, had a piece of toast and rolled into bed. Tired but absolutely knowing that I had done something worthwhile.

And that is a pretty good way to end the day.

Just Connie

No comments: