Friday, May 6, 2016

The Call

The call came in while I was eating breakfast. "Can you come down to the station? We had a DOA car accident last night. We would like you to debrief with us." Saying goodbye to my breakfast companions I headed down to the Fire Station. For the next hour I sat and listened, asked questions and listened some more as they told me about the call. As we wrapped things up, I gave them some of the symptoms to watch for that would indicate they needed additional processing time. And told them I would come back to talk anytime.

I am so amazed by these young men and the incredible way they put their lives on the line to help others. I am amazed at the depth of their caring and amazed that I get to work with them. I am so thankful for the opportunities I have been given to get to know them, drill with them and learn so many new things. It adds such joy and reminds me that what I am doing makes a difference.

I hope that I can bless them as much as they bless me. Who knew that sleepless nights and hours spent in my turnouts could be so much fun.

I can hardly wait for the next call.

Just Connie

No comments: