Friday, May 6, 2016

Mean Connie

One of the very fun things I get to do with the Fire Department is to be part of the interviews for new potential hires. My specific job is to do the Conflict Resolution Interview. I am given a role play scenario that involves me coming into the station in a rage. I get to yell, scream, be rude ... It is sooooo much fun!

One of the challenges has been to keep a straight face, especially if it is someone I know. This time out of the 13 people, I knew 3 of them. One of them had confided in me, that he was nervous about our upcoming interview. He had heard from the other guys, that he would meet "mean Connie" and he was having trouble picturing how that was possible. I laughed and told him he would do well.

As we began our interview together I gave him an overview of what we would be doing and told him that his job was to calm me down and find a resolution to the problem. So I walked out of the room and came in yelling "Who is in charge here?" His eyes got big and he rocked back on his feet and looked so very shocked. But he recovered well and remained calm, considerate as I yelled, raged and was as rude as I could possibly be. He even found a solution that would make me happy.

As he left the interview, he paused in the doorway and said, "I think I peed myself a little. You were terrifying." He doesn't know it, but he made my day. And I know that a new round of "mean Connie" stories would soon be circulating around the  Fire Station.

I mean who wouldn't love a job like this?

Just Connie

No comments: