Monday, May 9, 2016

Flare Up

My doctor pulled the stethoscope from his ears, clasped my hands and said, "I want to cry when I listen to your lungs." As my eyes filled with tears, I laid my head on his shoulder and cried. Months of ongoing infections and up and down lung function were definitely taking a toll both emotionally and physically on me. My doctor has gone over and beyond the call of duty as he has worked trying to get breathing, lungs and infections under control. And now I was in the midst of the the infection flaring back up and compromising my lungs.

I sat and listened as he recommended another round of antibiotics (only off for 3 days this time) and daily steroid shots until I stabilized and the wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath began to ease up. And of course the twice a day text messages to let him know how I am doing.

I left with a renewed respect and admiration for my family doctor. For his willingness to monitor me so closely, fit me into his schedule, and his incredible compassion. He encourages and stretches me in so many ways. I am very fortunate in having him as a doctor and friend. I have to believe he is one of those gifts that God gives me.

He reminds me every once in a while that I am the world's most closely monitored patient outside of an ICU unit. I see him in class 8-9 times a week (and he watches pretty closely. He caught me wheezing this morning) I see him in the office most weeks and I spend a large portion of the rest of the week with paramedics and EMTs. They certainly do not let me get away with anything. Which is why I got a breathing treatment at the Firehall tonight. (The Chief caught me wheezing)

And though I sometimes get a bit scared about what my breathing is doing, I realize I have an incredible support system. Both medically and with friends who care. That is gift that I am very, very thankful for. I think I need to focus more on the blessings I have, then the things I am struggling with. Less about me and more of ... everything else.

Whatever is pure, whatever is right ... Think on these things.

Just Connie


No comments: