Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Joy of Friendships

For me, friendships are an important part of my overall health. There have been times in my life when I did not have many friends and in those time I have always struggled to find peace and to enjoy life fully. The isolation that it has brought has not lead to freedom and joy.

Over the past few years I have made a purposeful choice to develop friendships. Not just acquaintances, but friendships that are deep and rich. I have to say that the decision to make meaningful friendships has not always been easy. Sometimes I have feared rejection and at times that has hindered me. It has also meant extra time and energy because it takes both to invest yourself in people lives.

But the results of that decision has been so worth it. Besides a sense of emotional well being, it has brought me visitors, phone calls and such richness to a time of my life that could be very lonely. These last few days of being with friends has reminded of just how important this is in my life. It is the encouragement that I need to keep building, keep giving and to keep loving the people around me. And I have a feeling that the best is yet to come.

Just Connie

No comments: