Thursday, September 15, 2011

Backpacking 2011

What a great trip! What a challenging trip. We unloaded, strapped on our packs and headed up the mountain. It was a mostly gentle, steady incline. The sun was hot and I could feel the sweat trickling down my back.



As I climbed I began to feel ... well downright bad. My head hurt, I was nauseous, every step was agony. About halfway up we sat down for a break, and that is when I began throwing up. Now that makes for a pleasant hiking partner. Embarrassed and shaky, they finally had me lay down for a while. I took a short nap curled on my sleeping bag under the trees. I woke up to the forest service rangers checking on me to make sure they did not need to shlep me back down the mountain. Embarrassed but feeling better. I put my pack back on and headed up the trail.


 The views just kept getting better and better the higher I climbed. I tried to keep my mind on the views and not on my aching, miserable body. We crossed streams while balanced on logs high above the rushing water and clambered up rocks. But at long last we saw the lake glinting through the trees. I do not know when I have been so relieved to see the end in sight.

We found a lovely spot right on the lake to set up camp. So over the next couple of days we hiked, swam and enjoyed incredible views that very few people get to see. I also had the joy of watching Hope Puppy learn some new skills. She learned to carry her packs, cross on a log over the stream and to swim in the lake with me.

All in all it was a good trip, even with me getting sick on the way up. Next time I will take it slower and allow myself to acclimate to the altitude. It was a good trip .... and it was a trip that was good for me.

I guess you cannot ask for more than that.

Just Connie

No comments: