Friday, September 9, 2011

Surprise Visitors

I stood with disbelief as I tried to make sense of the face at my door. With shaking hands I opened the door to my former mother-in-law. She lives in Texas and I have not seen here in years. I have not even heard from them in almost a year. But here she was. She and her husband were taking a flying trip through town and decided to stop and see me.

For the next 30 minutes we talked and laughed and cried and then finally approached the subject we had been avoiding. Did we know where Gerrald was? Did we think he was okay? How long since anyone heard from him. With tears I realized that no one has heard from him and we do not know where he is.

I hugged and kissed them and sent them on their way and since then  I have been sitting here with a heavy heart. I am so saddened by Gerrald's choice to drink. I am saddened at the incredible waste of his gifts and abilities. I grieve over his isolation and loneliness and the struggles he must face. And I fear that something will happen to him and we will never know it.

So tonight I feel sad ... sad for Gerrald, sad for me and the losses that his choice to drink brought to my life. Tonight I remember .....

Just Connie

No comments: