Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pastoral Thoughts

I love being a pastor. It is a privilege to share my life's journey with others. But I have to say that sometimes the journey is difficult. Recently I spent time with a parishioner with terminal cancer whose days were getting short on this earth. As I laughed and cried with him we planned his memorial, spoke of his family and he shared the things in life that were truly important to him. It was an incredible privilege to spend those moments with him ... but yet oh so hard.

When the call came in the early morning hours that he had stepped into glory I was glad for his release but oh so sad for me, for his family ... for the church. There is so much we will miss about him. But even in the sadness I recognize that there is so much that he has added to our lives.

Today we celebrated his life. We shared stories, we laughed, we cried and we recognized this incredible man and the life he lived.  I came from that service knowing that we were fortunate to share our lives, honored to have the privilege to minister to the family and sad for the loss that will become even more apparent in the days ahead.

And that loss hurts .....

Just Connie

No comments: