Monday, September 26, 2011

Study Day

In my mind my sermon and study day is full of soft music, a stack of reference books and hours of prayer and quiet contemplation. In reality it usually turns out somewhat different than that.

This morning as I began looking up scripture, Hope Puppy lay under my desk chewing on her squeak ball sqeeeeeeek ... sqeeeeeeek .... sqeeeeeeek. Every once in a while she would hopefully drop the wet slimy ball on my lap. By the time I was beginning to tune out the distractions, my volunteer secretary came in with the list of phone messages. Putting those aside I applied myself to the scripture at hand and put some soft music on. That was about the time the first of the drop in visitors began to come by.

As each visitor left I tried to pick up the threads of my study and sermon preparation once again. Little by little between interruptions the sermon began to develop. By the time I left the office, the sermon was done and printed. The sermon outline had been sent to my sound guys for projection and to the secretary for the bulletin.

Somehow my study day is never quite like I think it should be, but yet God manages to speak to me, in the midst of the squeaky ball, the interruptions and the problems. I rather think that the interruptions might be just as important as the quiet contemplation I plan.

How come they don't teach us that in seminary.

Just Connie

No comments: