Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dog Days

I cradled Charlies big hairy head in my hands and listened to the vet with growing hope. Against all my expectations they are going to try a pain medication for Charlie and see if they can make her comfortable. I loaded her back into the car and with great joy took her home with me.

Once home, I unloaded the car and began my daily chores. Suddenly it dawned on me that Hope puppy was at the back door and Charlie was nowhere in sight. I looked out the window and stood there in stunned disbelief. The back fence was laying flat on the ground and Charlie was nowhere to be seen. I grabbed my coat and headed out into the sleet. I searched all of the abandoned tree farm behind the house and with a growing sense of panic I began to walk the streets. By then tears of panic had begun to fall. Charlie had no collar on, no tags, nothing that would identify her at all. I began to stop and ask people if they had seen a large sheepdog go by and then ... miracle of miracles people began to say,. "yes" they had seen her go by. Finally one man said, "yes I saw her and there is she is over there behind the fence." I couldn't believe it ... I called her name and her big wet hairy and very muddy head popped up from behind the fence. I slipped the collar over her head and tearfully began to retrace my steps home. Relief filling me with every step.

Putting Charlie in the house I went out to inspect the fence damage. It was a 10 foot section of 3 foot cedar fencing laying flat on the ground. I stood there in the rain and sleet and began to try to raise it. The longer I worked at it the more frustrated I became. Finally sinking down into the mud and resting my forehead on the fence, I faced the reality .... I could not fix the fence on my own.

I tearfully picked up the phone and called for the cavalry. So tomorrow I have help coming to help me. But I have to admit that I feel rather overwhelmed. It is these moments that I really feel my singleness. But I refuse to let this defeat me. I have people that love me. People who will help when there is need.

I am not alone.

Just Connie

No comments: