Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dance Class Dread

Tonight I get a chance to publically humiliate myself. I think it is important for everyone to have the chance to do so every once in a while. It really ensures that your head does not get too big and you do not take yourself too seriously. This opportunity for self abasement comes from my daughter. Isn’t that thoughtful of her? When she first suggested that we take a class together I was very excited. I was even more excited when she thought we could take a dance class together …. a tap class. Hey, I know how to tap dance. Of course it has been 35 years and unmentionable pounds ago that I did so, but I could do that.

Well, I thought so … right up until the night we went for the preview class. I have never felt so uncoordinated, gawky and ridiculous. I went from thinking that I was a graceful confident athlete, to knowing that I was a handicapped spastic girl. Tonight I get to see just how bad it is.

I have a feeling that this will be very good for me. I also have the feeling that I will embarrass myself multiple times during the evening. It will also be wonderful to spend time with my talented beautiful daughter. I have decided that my goal tonight is Song of Solomon 7:1

“How beautiful your sandaled feet, O prince's daughter! Your graceful legs are like jewels, the work of a craftsman's hands.”

Unfortunately it will probably be more like Groucho Marx. Regardless of my dignity, I am looking forward to love and laughter and the joy of time spent with my daughter. With any luck there will be no film at 11.

Just Connie

No comments: