Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Facing Friends & Facebook

Facebook has been an interesting phenomenon. I originally got drawn in to study it and see what application I could make of it for the Mission. But what I soon found was that I really enjoyed it. It gave me a chance to connect with people which at this point in my life was better for me than the isolation my grief built around me.

With Facebook, I am in constant contact with my niece, nephews, cousins and even my mother. I was even able to see the arrival of my great niece within minutes of her birth. (Pictures and video) I have been put back into contact with people I had lost track of over the years and school friends that I had almost forgotten. It has been a great addition to my evenings to check out what everyone is up to.

But as much as I enjoy it, I realize that this contact is rather superficial. I know that I am very careful to sanitize what I say on Facebook as it is a very public forum. I am sure that everyone else is doing the same thing. It is not the place to share your inner most thoughts. Facebook is purely what it says it is; a social network. In fact I think it is much like chatting around the water cooler used to be. It is casual conversation and a way to update others on the general happenings of your life.

So the question is … is that all we need? Is that all that is needed to keep me well balanced and happy,,,, just some general chatting around the cyber water cooler? I rather think that God intended for us to have some deeper interactions as well. I think we need people that know us inside and out. People that can hold us accountable, people that call us to a deeper relationship with Christ. I think Facebook is wonderful, but I cannot let it crowd out what I really need. I think I might need less Facebook and more face time.

No comments: