Monday, March 9, 2009

Doing the Hard Stuff

I have such a clear picture of my wedding day. The sun was bright, the Fall air was crisp, the wind gently tugged on my veil and I can still remember making eye contact with my soon to be husband waiting for me under the archway. It was a perfect day and I can remember thinking that life was everything I had prayed for.

Today I met with a court clerk to go over all the paperwork for a legal separation. I cried through the entire appointment. In a few days the papers will be filed and the two month separation will be an indefinite legal reality.

I find that I am overwhelmed with a sense of failure and grief. Grief at the senseless loss of something wonderful. A sense of failure that I cannot fix this. It is completely out of my hands. Nothing I do will change this. The decision is out of my hands.

So how do I face this grief that is so paralyzing? 2 Corinthians 7:10 says this:

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

It reminds me that I need to strive to stay focused. Not on my sorrow or my loss, but on Christ. This grief can destroy me or it can strengthen me. That is a choice that is within my power to make.

Just Connie

No comments: