Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Grandmother, My Friend


It has only been a few short weeks since my grandmother died. She had lived a long and full life. She lived her life her way and enjoyed her 100 years completely. At the time of her death she was still volunteering 5 days a week, still sharp and witty … still exercising in the nude …. yeah, she lived her life her way.

Grammies had been one of my best friends since childhood. We found in each other a kindred spirit. We shared the same mischievous humor and spent hours laughing at ourselves and just enjoying each other. Some of my earliest memories are of walking to the country store she owned and having lunch with her. As I got older I would get up an hour early to spend time with her before I caught the school bus each morning.

Much of who I am today I believe came from her. We tormented and teased the family together, encouraged each other, chided each other and loved each other lavishly.

The reality of her departure is more real every day. Sometimes the loss is gentled by the wonderful memories I have of her. Other times the loss is raw and hard edged. I am trying to remember what she added to my life, not what I have lost in her death. Some days I do better than others.

Over the years I watched and learned as she grieved the loss of her siblings and her friends. She taught me that the intense pain of grief fades in time. She also taught me that the job of those left behind is to live life to the fullest. The best memorial I could ever give to her is to live my life well and fully. I have a lot of living to do.

No comments: