Friday, March 13, 2009

Love and Parents

Family …. can’t live with them and can’t live without them. Well actually I guess I have lived with them. In fact just recently I spent a month and a half with Mom and Dad and Grandma. It was a very unexpected visit, but when my life blew up around me, they welcomed me home with open arms.

It was such a relief to have someplace to go … someplace that I did not have to pack my suitcase everyday and look for somewhere else to stay the next night … someplace that was not the back seat of my car … even more someplace where people loved me. A place I could be real and honest and just be me. What could have been a very traumatic time for me instead was a warm loving time.

In hind sight I am very thankful for those last days with my grandmother. It was a gift to be able to spend her last weeks with her. Of course I didn’t know they were her last weeks. But I am grateful for the extra time we had to just be together.

Today my parents came and spent the night with me. It has been wonderful to have them here. Dad came to help me with the pellet stove. I have not had heat since I came back to the house a month ago. So my dad came to the rescue as he has so often throughout my life. We got covered with soot multiple times and took things apart and put them back together again. I am confident that he will have it working before he leaves tomorrow. But even if it does not work, I am so just so glad to have them here with me.

My parents are strong, loving and give of themselves so freely. I know they would do anything in their power to help me. They only want what is best and right for me. The encourage me to be everything that I can be, but yet accept me as I am with all of my quirks and faults.

I find that I hope two things. First of all, I want my parents to absolutely know how much I love them, how much I appreciate their sacrifices and how much I honor them and the lives they have lived. Secondly, I want to be that kind of parent to my children. I think that I have a lot left to learn.

No comments: