Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When Life Hurts

When life hurts my tendency is to treat the pain with a liberal application of doughnuts and then to go to bed. Right now, I would like to curl up with 2-3 dozen assorted doughnuts and then go to bed for at least a month. Of course the problem with that is when the sugar rush is over and I finally crawl out of bed, all of the hurt and loss is still there. My husband will still be gone, my beloved friends will still be dead.

So the question remains what do I do when life hurts? If sugar and avoidance doesn’t fix the hurt then what is the answer?

Tonight I was a part of the Mission graduation celebration. This event celebrates the achievements of those on the 12 month recovery program. As I watched and listened to their testimonies I was encouraged. They are in a daily process of overcoming deep hurts and large obstacles in their lives. I am privileged to watch them grow, learn and be transformed day by day.

I am growing to believe that there is great value in going through the process of grief. There is much to be learned in the times of hurt and loss. Perhaps instead of wanting to bypass this hurt, I need to embrace it and learn from it. Perhaps is a not so much what makes me comfortable ….. but more a matter of just letting it be what it is.

No comments: