Friday, April 17, 2009

High School Reunion

I was busy and happy throughout high school. I was involved in everything and felt a part of the flow of high school activities. I have many good memories of those years. After graduation I sporadically kept in contact with a few, but over the years had lost track of even those few.

Several years ago I registered with classmates.com and occasionally I have heard from someone I went to school with. That has been a lot of fun but not too demanding or intimidating.

A couple of weeks ago I got a notice that there was a pre 35 year reunion meeting and I thought “O that would be fun.” But the closer it got, the scarier it got. I was relieved when I had a conflict with another meeting. But then my conflict resolved, I still could not bring myself to call for a reservation. It just felt risky. My mother began to nag me. (you know mothers always know best) One night I finally picked up the courage and called the organizer who had been a high school friend of mine.

It was wonderful to talk to her and the years rolled away as we updated each other. Tomorrow is the get together and I find that I am looking forward to it. I think it will be a great time of reminiscing. It will also offer the chance to get to know the adults that my friends grew into. I think that we probably all want the same thing. A chance to belong, connect and to be respected. I guess it is not all that different from high school after all.

Just Connie

No comments: