Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Hunt For Gold Continues

I shivered as the water ran down my back.  I took hold of a branch and braced myself as I clambered over the log. Sliding down the back side of the log I could see the countryside spread out before me. I leaned back against the log and took in the view through the driving rain.  The tall pine trees were whipping back and forth in the wind gusts. The mist laying on the hills did not obscure the bright colors of the maples and birches. There was beauty in the storm around me and my heart sang as I took in the view.

I pushed my wet hair back from my face and continued down the canyon. Blinking the rain out of my eyes I saw the peek of gold through the heavy moss. Kneeling, I brushed back the moss and fallen leaves as I pulled out my knife. I carefully uncovered my find. There it was, in all of it's glory ....a gorgeous Chantrelle mushroom. I slipped it carefully in the bag and continued the hunt.

Later as I sloshed back to the truck, I was struck by a sense of de-je-vu. I had a sudden flash back to  hours spent hiking the woods and canyons around my parents house. Rain or shine nothing kept me from being out where I felt the best. I smiled as I hitched up my sodden sagging jeans as I remembered my mother hosing us off in the side yard when we got back.

I am grateful for the chance to once again roam the hills and enjoy the beauty of the world around me. Not even the rain can dampen my enthusiasm.

Just Connie

No comments: