Monday, July 25, 2011

The Plan

Some days just refuse to follow the plan. Today was one of those days. Mondays are my sermon and study day. I spend the day studying and writing my sermon. It is a day of quietness and reflection as I seek God's heart. At least that was the plan.

My day actually started last night with a late night phone call that took me out on a pastoral visit first thing this morning. From there I rushed back to the church to meet with a young man who needed a place to do community service. As I waited for him to show I tried to clear my desk of the detritus that seems to always accumulate on Sundays. As I got my community service guy started on a task I began to turn to my sermon. I no sooner got started on that when the phone began ringing .... and then the drop in visitors began to show up. At one point I actually had a line up of people waiting to see me.

By last this afternoon, I felt like I had done most everything but finish my sermon. Definitely not what I had planned. But I have a feeling that the "plan" was not what was important about today. Instead of what I had planned, I comforted someone who was grieving, built a bridge with a trouble young man, spent time with a man fighting cancer, dealt with a myriad of business and logistical issues.

So the reality is that my day was not what I had planned, but it was better than my plan. I guess it is a good thing that ultimately Someone else in in charge of the plan.

Just Connie

No comments: