Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Classes

For the last 4 weeks I have been in a series of classes with FEMA and CERT. CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Teams. Basically they are training us to take care of ourselves in the event of a local catastrophe.

The classes have been challenging, eye opening and at times downright scary. I think the two that have really grabbed me, was the Hazardous Materials and the 2 weeks of Triage. The Haz Mat was hard because you really do not think about how many horrible substances are out there. Some on purpose and some by accident. The training films are enough to give you nightmares. But it is all good information.

These last two weeks have been teaching us Triage in mass casualty situations. Last night we practiced what we had been learning. Set around the classroom was slips of paper with a very basic description of the patient, of the visible wounds, respiration, capillary refill and response. You had to sort them into 4 groups. Minor (green) Delayed (Yellow) Immediate (Red) and Deceased (Black). The wounds of course were horrifying but I think it was having to make a decision so quickly and having to move on. The worst was declaring the 6 month old baby dead. It really brings it all home.

So why am I taking the time to do all of this? Well, we live in an isolated area and I know that in a major crisis there is will only be us to help. When the major Subduction Zone earthquake hits that they have been warning us about, I want my community to be able to survive. Also what better way to help people in crisis that to prepare to help them when the world turns upside down?

So over the next four weeks, I will be trained in search and rescue and other things that I will need to know. I will learn everything I can, so I can help in meaningful ways.

And then I will pray that I never have to use this training ....

Just Connie

No comments: