Saturday, November 16, 2013

What Was I Thinking

I have been eagerly awaiting my order from Amazon.com. I finally ordered a jewelry armoire to contain the mess I have with my jewelry. It seemed to have everything I needed and the dimensions were right. Yesterday I heard the FED EX truck pull into the driveway and by the time I got to the door the driver was jumping in his truck and leaving. And that is when I saw the box. The armoire which should stand 4 feet tall was in a box about a foot and a half tall. And that is when the thought ran through my mind that perhaps this was not such a good idea.

But I drug the very heavy box in the house and began to cut the packaging away. Squaring my shoulders I pulled out the assembly instructions and began to check off the parts they said should be in the box. And that was the first oh no. There were 6 different size and types of screws and none of them were marked. You had to determine which was which yourself. So after 40 minutes of counting screws and comparing the shape of the head to very poor drawings. I finally had each of them in separate piles and tentatively labeled.

Pulling out my tool box I grabbed my screwdrivers and began to work my way through the instructions. The first few steps went very smoothly which lulled me into a false sense of security. It was on the third step that I began to think that I was totally out of my depth. It was just three little screws that had to be screwed in from the bottom. Which meant that the holes had to be lined up ... just right. Only there was no way to know where the holes were. I worked for about half an hour until my frustration was at a breaking point and then walked away from it. After about 15 minutes I went back and tried again and incredibly one of the holes matched up. Over the next 45 minutes I finally got the other two screw in. Resting my head on the pieces I offered up a quick prayer and moved on to the next piece.

After working on it steadily for an hour I finally put the last piece together and stood back to take a look. It was beautiful and I could not wait to put it in its special spot. That is when the next problem presented. It was really too heavy and too awkward for me to pick up and move. After trying to pick it up several times I sat on the floor in front of it and glared at it for a while. Looking at the cardboard strewn around me, I threw a large piece in front of the armoire and slowly crab walked it onto the cardboard.

Little by little I tugged the armoire into its spot and crab walked it back off the cardboard. Then I began picking of the packaging, cardboard and hundreds of small Styrofoam pieces. It was done and it only took me three hours. Three hours ....

What was I thinking?

Just Connie

No comments: