Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Camping Thoughts

I have spent the last week camping. First by myself and then these last three days with my afventure buddy Tami. We decided that we would head to Devils Lake, only 30 minutes from the house and camp in the state park and do some paddle boarding. However it became clear to us before we left that the weather was turning and would not be good for paddle boarding. So the boards stayed home and our hiking boots went in.

I have never really liked staying in developed camp grounds. They are often noisy and people are camped right on top of you. But Tami found us a great spot very private, right on the edge of the peat marsh. Which was very interesting.

We pulled in by 4 and by 5, the tent was set up, our kitchen organized and we decided to go out to dinner.nhad a great dinner at the Dory Cove and then headed back to the camp, where we built a campfire,nthe first one Tami and even built and we did it without adequate kindling which was kind of a miracle. But the fire went well and we enjoyed sitting around the fire and thiing deep thoughts and talking wise words. ... Or so it felt!

The next morning's we woke up to rain, thunder and lightening. We actually learned thatTami's tent is water tight. But we finally got up, ate a light breakfast, got cleaned up and drove a few blocks to Dutch Bros so Tami could have her morning coffee. Then back to camp ground where we found the very informative board walk that went through a rare peat marsh. We ended up taking it all the way to Devils Lake and then down D River to The Ocean. It was a beautiful hike and the storm had eased up and there were actually patches of blue sky.

Headed back we decided to rundown to the outlet mall where we both picked up a couple of small things. Then we stopped for lunch at McMenimins and then headed to Safeway for bundles of tinder and s'mores supplies.

And then back to the camp where we built a nice fire and sat and played cards for hours and talked. It was so relaxing and so much fun. I headed to bed early and slept almost 12 hours. It sure felt good to lay there and look listen to the ocean. Once I had dragged myself out of bed, it was time to begin to pack up, gave a big breakfast and finally pack it all in the car and head home.

I got home just in time for treatment where I had left everything set out and ready to go when we got there.. Now I am finishing up my last rounds of post treatment and will start on go to bed.

I gave a feeling since treatment was so late today, I might be a bit rough around the edges tomorrow. But we will see.

I am very grateful for the chance to get out and pack, grateful for an adventure friend who is willing to go adventuring with me. I feel very blessed.

I have one more day of vacation and I am hoping to do a little yard work which would be amazing!

I am looking forward that the week is going to bring, looking forward to talking with my immunologist and that I am seeing my pulmunlogist this week as well.

Yep ... Lots of good stuff ahead....

Just Connie

No comments: