Monday, June 19, 2017

Infusion Reactions

Today, I hopped out of bed at and headed to my yoga class. But before I did that I had to ensure that all my medications and supplies were ready for treatment lasted in the morning. I packed my two rounds of pre treatment drugs in my bag and I headed to class.

As usual class was wonderful, uplifting and inspiring. Though I did find myself still getting short of breath which I find frustrating. But I will not let it keep me from class.
After class I headed to Willamette Valletta Medical Center to have my  Immune Panel Blood draw. That took very little time and I was soon on my way back home to start my pre treatment drugs and make sure that everything is read for the 10am treatment.

I got home in time to do a little cleaning and make some breakfast, but before I knew it, my friend Carolyn was there to help me set my needles. She carefully sought places with out scar tissue and gentle inserted the three needles, taping them down  firmly and watching for blood in the lines which would make us take everything out and start again. But it all looked good and she headed back to work and I headed to bed to sleep the drugs off.

I was awakened by pain in my infusion arm. I was noticing sone leaking so I quickly clipped that line and headed to a mirror to take a look at the site. It was with different stay that I noticed  it was swollen and red and not looking very good. So I  called Carolyn who was soon there to take the needles out and take a look. She pulled them out, disinfected everything and then said, "I do not like how this looks. It is still swelling and you are getting welts" so she took a pen and drew around the outside of the swelling so she could monitor it. For thence t 15 minutes it fkept swelling past its boundaries. But finally it began to go down. That is when we noticed that my blood pressure had spiked as well.

Sighing ... I did all the things I was supposed to do and charted all the problems. After 45 Munster she felt like I was stable enough to be left and she headed back to work and I headed back to bed to sleep it off as much as possible.

I am grateful for Friends who will go I over and above the call of duty to help. I am blessed. But I have to admit I could do with out these little unexpected down turns. It makes for a hard and exhausting treatment. And the  recovery is longer .,..

Sigh... But every bit is helping towards a strong immune system. So I need to embrace this reality with joy. It will not always be like this. There are good things ahead!


Just Connie

No comments: