Sunday, September 19, 2010

No Turning Back

Todays sermon text is Galatians 4:8-20.


8Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.


12I plead with you, brothers, become like me, for I became like you. You have done me no wrong. 13As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. 14Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?


17Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may be zealous for them. 18It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you. 19My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!


Intro: Paul had very strong words for the Galatians he asked them, "How is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles?" Turning from the freedom they were finding in Christ to …. Well let’s look at what they were turning to.

Turning To

1. Turning Back to “Old Man”

2. Comfort

3. Habits

4. Legalism …. (Justified by what I do, not my heart)


Away From

They were turning away from joy (why, because of these next things)

1. Away from hope

2. Away from love

3. Direction & Guidance

4. Power

Are there things that are making you turn back? Do you ever feel like you are walking looking over your shoulder? Do you ever find yourself wanting to turn back to what you were before Christ? Is there anything pulling your focus off Christ?

Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62

Today is the day to make a fresh commitment. I will follow Chrhist, for me there is no turning back.

No comments: