Friday, October 15, 2010

Family Thoughts

Family has always been important to me. My family has been the framework for my success and happiness over the years. A little over a year ago my father suffered a traumatic brain injury and the past year has been a battle for him as he has slowly piece by piece fought to regain his life. In just the last few months he has reached some major mile markers, like getting his license back and going hunting ...things that are really important to him.

This morning he had a stroke. The call shook me deeply as i realized that everything he had been working so hard for ... might be gone. I packed up the sheepdog, put the puppy in the backyard and headed out to make the two hour trip to the hospital. It was a hard trip and brought to mind the horrible trip I made after his brain injury.

I was so relieved when I was able to wrap my arms around my mother and hear what was going on. She took me back to see my dad and see for myself that he had already made so much improvement. Over the next hours I was gladdened to see him continue to improve and to see his normal teasing begin to surface.

Tonight I am very grateful that he is recovering well and that there seems to be little lasting harm. I am grateful for the reprieve we were all given today. I am not ready to say goodbye to this man who has been a rock throughout my life. In fact I am praying for several more decades with him.

Just Connie

No comments: