Monday, June 8, 2009

1st Day of Unemployment

Today was my first day of unemployment. It sure did not feel like a day off.

I started my day by filing for unemployment. That was a thrill. But at least it was all on line. So that was better than standing in line for hours. It will be interesting to see this whole process through. I have never been unemployed before. I am not sure what the parameters are for any of this. I am feeling my way through this like a blind man.

Next on my busy social calendar was a trip into Salem to pick up the Assistant to my Conference Superintendent. From there we drove into Gladstone to meet with the Gladstone Church Treasurers to get the conference on the bank accounts.

By 2:00 we were back in Salem and I met briefly with the superintendent and went over yesterday’s service and upcoming plans with him. I am very thankful for a godly man who is willing to wade through this deep water. It is good to have leadership that are easy to respect and follow. I am very grateful for our Conference leadership.

After that, I took a flying trip to the Dollar Store to pick up a few things, then to Walmart to pick up a garden hoe and finally Safeway to pick up a few groceries. At Safeway I also got to briefly see my daughter who is working as a cashier at Safeway. I always wait to go through her line and try to make her laugh while I am there. I have to admit, I didn’t have much humor around me today.

From there I finally headed home and pulled into the driveway about 5:00. It was a full and busy day.

As I reflect on how I am doing, I have to admit that I am tired, sad and a little discouraged. Yesterday took a lot out of me. The emotions, the conflict, the criticisms all drain so much energy from me. But not only that, so much has happened in the past 6 months.

  • My husband left
  • My Grandmother died
  • My best friend, Debbie died
  • My second mother, my mother’s best friend Marilyn died
  • I lost my job
  • The church is closing

I turned my eyes towards the heavens today and said, “What’s next Lord? Locusts?” I laughed but the reality is that this is a pivotal time for me. How I walk through this, how I search for God’s heart, how well I listen will determine my path for the future.

I choose to not be defined by the loses in my life. I am more than what I have lost. I will not be a victim. I am God’s child, a beloved daughter of the King. I will
embrace the moment where I am and seek the lesson to be found right here.

“Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD” Psalm 31:24

In this promise, and the reality of His presence I will find strength for today and hope for tomorrow.

Just Connie

No comments: