Monday, June 22, 2009

Niagara Falls


I went on a great hike today. My neighbor Cheryl and I headed to Niagara Falls just minutes from the house. It was a beautiful day, overcast with the sun peeping out every once in a while. Absolutely perfect for hiking. We could not have ordered better weather for the outing. So we packed our lunches, stowed our backpacks and herded my sheep dog into the car and headed to the backcountry.

The way to Niagara is not marked very well and I feel like we deserved a medal for actually finding it. It is a short hike straight down most of the way to the falls. (which means it is straight up coming back) It has a wonderful rainforest feel as you go down the canyon. Lots of moss and heavy vegetation, everything is very lush and very green. There are several spots where the trail is washed out from the winter storms and it takes some maneuvering around very slick, very precipitous drop offs to hike the trail right now.

There are actually two falls. The first one is a broad cascade that is beautiful and reminds me of a smaller version of Ramona Falls. Just a turn of the trail brings you to Niagara. It is a lovely spot. Very secluded and seldom traveled. It is the perfect place for quiet contemplation. We had our lunch, talked and laughed and just enjoyed the scenery.

Today was good exercise, good company and totally refreshing. It also forced me outside of the house. I think I have spent too much time just hunkering down and brooding over the past week. Today reminds me that I need to do this often. In fact I think I will try to get out into nature at least once a week while I am off work.

This time off is the perfect opportunity to do some of the things I have always wished I had time to do. I need to hike, sleep and spend time with friends and family. I need to use this time to refresh and restore. I need to see the gifts God has for me within this circumstance. I have a feeling that might not always be easy. But I am determined to not allow my emotions to drive me to isolate myself.

“I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint." Jeremiah 31:25

I guess it is a matter of focus. I choose to live a life of hopeful expectancy. I am expecting great things.

Just Connie

No comments: