Saturday, June 13, 2009

Camping Trip

I’m back! It was a wonderful but wet trip. Here is a summary of what the last few days have held.

Wednesday
I got up early and doubled checked all the gear that I had packed the day before. At 8:00 I met my friends Gary & Marylou as well as Michelle who would serve as our guide to our camping spot.

Our 3 car caravan headed south and we drove and drove. We drove and drove while it rained and rained. There was some gorgeous scenery through the rain and I put some CD’s in and cranked up the sound. I told the dogs they could sing along with me. We drove south past Eugene, east past Oakridge and north to Cresent City. Then we turned off and began driving down dirt backroads through the pine forest. By the time we were 10 minutes in I was not sure I could find my way out. By the time we were 20 minutes in, I knew I was hopelessly turned around. By then it was hailing and the dirt roads were slick and swampy. I was glad for my 4 wheel drive.

We pulled into our campsite in a complete downpour. By then I was thinking of trying to set my tent up in the rain and how fun it was going to be to sleep in cold wet bedding. The property had several outbuildings and a one room log cabin. To my delight, the owner gave me the key to the cabin and told me to use it. The cabin had a bed and a wood stove. Dry, weather tight and warm! What a difference from a cold wet tent. This is going to be great.

Thursday
We had waffles for breakfast. I like camping with Gary and Marylou! Then we went exploring. We packed up a lunch and jumped in the truck and took off. We had periods of thunderstorms but there was beautiful country every direction you looked. We ended up at the river where Marylou and Gary did some fishing. I read a book and took photos and watched the storm rolling in. It was relaxing and wonderful.

We had another spectacular meal and spent the evening around the campfire. When we were cold and damp we headed to the cabin and sat and talked while we soaked up the warmth of the woodstove.

Friday
Another lazy morning. We actually had some sun breaks! We decided to drive up to Little Cultus Lake. It is one of the high alpine lakes above Bend. We packed a lunch and headed out after another spectacular meal.

We saw some fabulous scenery and had our lunch by the lake. The dogs had a wonderful time exploring every thing and splashing in the water. After lunch we packed up and went exploring. We headed down muddy rutted roads until we were stopped by a sinkhole and had to back out. We laughed and oohed and aaahed and felt like we had been on quite an adventure.

From there we headed to the lava fields that abut Davis Lake. I started to climb up the rock face and was half way up when the storm hit. Rain was pouring down so hard I could hardly see my hand in front of me. I beat a retreat to the truck and we began to load up the dogs. My sheepdog Charlie decided she was not done yet and jumped in the Lake. So in the pouring rain I ran along the lakeshore trying to cajole a misbehaving dog. She kept herself parallel to me (about knee deep). She would not be reasoned with! I finally jumped in and dove after her. So dripping and soaked all the way through I drug her to the truck and heaved her in the back.

With apologies to my companions, I climbed in the truck and we headed back. We had an incredible meal of chicken fajitas with fresh baked bread and spent another quiet evening around the campfire before we headed to the cabin for more conversation and relaxation.


Saturday
This morning I got up and packed up the car. I walked outside and looked into the sky and …. it is sunny! I am wishing that I was staying for another 4 days. Then, I sat down to an incredible breakfast of biscuits and gravy. What a wonderful send off. I hugged and kissed Marylou and Gary and prayed that I could find the way out. I actually made it the first try. I think someone was praying for me.

Closing Thoughts
This trip was good for me. It was a break from the frantic pace I have been under the past year. It was also a break from the hurt and sorrow of the last few months. I slept a lot, laughed a lot and enjoyed the company of wonderful loving people. I am very thankful for the chance to get away. I think I will search for more of these moments in the days ahead.

34"Aeneas," Peter said to him, "Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and take care of your mat." Immediately Aeneas got up. Acts 9:34

God has healing and restoration for me. I need to do my part. I need to get up off my mat and step into the future God has planned for me. It is a new day.

No comments: