Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wedding Day

Today I officiated the wedding of my nephew. It was a beautiful wedding and everything went very smoothly. As the officiating minister that is always a relief. It is a secret fear of mine that someday I will make a horrible mistake and ruin someone’s special day. So far after 25 years of ministry that has not happened. I hope that does not mean I am due for a doozy of a mistake. The ceremony was held on the riverfront in St Helens. It is nice setting and the rain held off, though the wind kicked up as it often does in that area. I felt privileged to have been a part of this important day. I am so glad they asked me. I love my nephews as if they were my own sons and I am very proud of the young men they have grown into.

I found that I really missed my sister Delinda today. She passed away three years ago and it was her son that was married today. I kept thinking of how much fun she would be having and how she would be teasing everyone and embarrassing her children and laughing. She would have been so proud today. I miss her humor, her spunk and everything she added to my life. I am thankful for the years we had with her.

Tonight as I reflect back on today, I find myself so very grateful for my family. For my family are people who know me and love me anyway. They are people who see me as first and foremost someone they love. All of their perceptions of me grow and are colored by that love. That is a precious and rare gift.

“Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever” Psalm 106:1

So I am headed to bed warmed, strengthened and encouraged by the love and joy of the day.

Just Connie

No comments: