Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clams & Sand Dollars

I popped out of bed bright and early at 3:15. I packed s backpack of extra clothes and shoes and dug out my muck boots to take with me. At 4:20 they came and picked me up and drove two hours north to Seaside.

Once we arrived they gave me a quick lesson on how to spot clams and then dig for them. I was very surprised at how easy it was. I was further surprised at how many people were there at 7:00 on a Thursday morning digging for clams.

I was soon strolling around the beach occasionally digging, but most often picking up sand dollars. Spread over the entire beach were hundreds of Sand Dollars. Big ones, small ones, dark ones, light ones they were beautiful and they were whole. It was wonderful.

So, at the end of the day, I had 4 very large razor clams and a whole sack-full of Sand Dollars. I am not sure yet what I am going to do with them. But they speak to me and I like them.

All in all, clam digging was a lot of fun. The friendship and camaraderie was even more fun than the actual clam hunt. I guess when it all comes down to it, as I have said before, it is all about the relationships in our lives. It was a rich & wonderful day because of those relationships.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you know that that sand dollars are actually living things? On some beaches it is against the law to take them off the beaches because of it. It sounds like a wonderful day and a wonderful time my friend...I am so glad you are feeling like your old self. I just realized the opening of this comment is kind of a bummer but I didn't realize it and thought I would share the information with you in case you didn't either!!