Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Charlie

I have a large sheepdog (Charlie) that has been a faithful and fun companion over the past 10 years. We have hiked together and she has often been the comforting presence that my tears have fallen on through the hard times. This summer she has dropped weight and in trying to beef her up I triggered her food allergies. I finally realized that I was not winning the allergy problem this time and called the vet.

The vet poked and prodded her and hhhmmed and then said, "You need to realize that she is very elderly for a giant breed". I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I stood there and fought the tears back as I was flooded with fear. "The good news is that the allergies are treatable. The bad news is that we need to expect that at her age other systems will begin to shut down, but she is in good shape for her age".

I made it through the appointment and headed home clutching the meds. I am looking at her and I just do not see an an elderly dog when I look at her. I see the fuzzy puppy that chewed my shoes and the young dog that dug up the back yard. I look at her and see the dog that curls up with the bunny to sleep. I see more than a dog, I see a friend.

I guess this is a reminder to enjoy the time I am given with her. But I have to admit that this is not a reality that I want to embrace. I think I will go and curl up with my dog and tell her that she is still young in my eyes.

Just Connie

No comments: